Thoughts On Blackness

Yesterday, I got involved in a discussion on the "state of black culture," the place of the discussion was also very relevant. I was on a college campus and i was discussing this matter with the members of the Black Student Union. Just a side note, I should have been more involved with my college's Black Student Association, will do better in Grad School. But back on topic, we happen to be discussing blacks adapting to a white culture and what that means, carrying ourselves with more respect and dignity, and black leadership. After this discussion it got me to thinking about a topic a fellow writer and friend of mine Andrew posed for this month's writer cypher, "The lack of young black leadership."

I began to think about long gone are the days of radical movements, everyone with prominence, want to be seen as politically correct. And those of us without the prominence are doing everything politically correct so that we can one day be the ones with prominence. 

My Thoughts on our Blackness

Today we live in a society that is forever changing, but do our traditions and legacies have to change with the times, is a question we must begin to ask ourselves. Gone are the days where it was a village raising a child or children, gone are the days where there are black neighborhoods, with successful black-owned businesses. The last black-owned business I can remember in my neighborhood and that I patronized was Al's barbershop. And thats been gone now for over 10years. I've heard this said time and time again, but as a culture we must really  begin working together, for the advancement of all of us. Also after that discussion I was sitting around speaking to a few people and I happen to say "groups like the NAACP, I don't have much faith in or support," and before you begin to jump down my throat understand why I make this statement.

I heard Rev. Otis Moss Jr. says some months back that "we no longer have prophetic voices," meaning we no longer have in our community a person or persons of prominence that speaks to us, to guide and let us know where we are going wrong and help us be lead down the right path. I've held my belief about the NAACP, before hearing Rev. Moss says this but it only strengthen my resolve. An organization such as the NAACP, for all its good it does do, can and should be that VOICE. It's name says it all, The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION for the ADVANCEMENT of COLORED PEOPLE, with a name as such, there needs to be more outward focus and communication to the African American community. The youth and I will exclude myself from that group are coming of age in a different time; the morals and traditions that once were are no more. 

Are greatest failure that we are perpetuating to the youth, is a failure to dream. Young kids today are no longer dreaming about what they or the world will become. What will they grow up to be. No you don't want to live your entire life being just a dreamer, you must make it into a reality. But it is the ability of dreaming that gives you that initial start. Closing your eyes and one day just imaging that your name will be in lights, or on the door of a corner office. We are no longer inspiring a generation to dream beyond the mediocrity of our lives, that they can soar pass even our best. Those prominent voices aren't  speaking out, those organizations such as the NAACP aren't extending their reach far enough to the masses. We as a whole have to do more to reach the youth, the next generation, in the words of NABA's motto WE MUST BEGIN "LIFTING AS WE CLIMB."

Martin phrased it best "We've got some difficult days ahead...But WE as a people will get to the promise land." We haven't gotten there yet and we are in the mist of the difficult days...but WE as a people will get to the promise land.

lookout for the piece on the "Lack of Young Black Leadership"

Comments

Popular Post