The Truth About My Nigga

In today’s age speaking the word nigga is said to be used as a term of endearment like brother or sister or even black with someone who you relate to usually in an ethnic way. Even though terms of endearment can go beyond the ethnic culture and be on a human level. How Dr. King referred to his white brothers and sisters. 
But you will have many critics who will say that the word nigga, is derogatory, that it is degrading to the African American race or community. The word nigga, derives from the old word Nigger, which Whites used to refer to black slaves and people of color during the Civil Rights Era. 
But I would argue that the word nigga isn’t degrading to the African American race or community, that the word isn’t derived from nigger, based on the following simple points. 
Nigger - was used as a term of oppression and disrespect. 
Nigga - used as a term of appreciation and in brotherhood
Nigger - is spelled N.I.G.G.E.R.
Nigga - is spelled N.I.G.G.A.
Niger - is spelled N.I.G.E.R.
Going deeper the word nigger was given its power by the whites of that era, that used it as a way to take remove the identity of the slaves and it carried on into the Civil Rights Era. Lets say we decided to relate the two words, nigger and nigga. Slaves were once referred to as property, a thing and not a person, you could even argue they were a commodity. Are we wrong if we continue to use the word property. I cannot directly quote any person as having spoken these words, but you can picture that in those days this line was reiterated more than once, “that right there (the “there” referring to the slave, nigger, or nigga) is my property.” Should we now go and find a new word or term that would replace property, because of its direct connection to the referencing of slaves. I do not think so. So any direct correlation that is attempted to be placed upon the two words should be dispelled. Nigga is a termed first started within the African American community. 
If we are to deem the word nigga degrading to the African American community, I suggest we include others such as Black or Colored, and even Negro. None of them alone give a distinction to a race of people, because alone they do not describe a race or are even a race themselves. Black is a color, just because my skin is brown does not make me a Colored, and why must I be called a Negro, do explain what does that term mean. 
If you look deep enough into it African American doesn’t even describe me well enough. Africa is a continent, with 53 different nations. I do not originate from all 53. I have no real connection to any of the nations. So why is it that I’m referred to as African American again? No one is really sure who coined the term African American, but for argument sake I will say it was simply another word given to us by the white man and the media of the day. So when looking deep into this situation none of the words which we so deeply embrace today are ours. So if we have coined a term ourselves that somewhat helps to describe and define who we are, I ask why find fault in it? 
Answer me these simple questions, if you find the word NIGGA degrading, offensive, or just outright deplorable. 
Why are you African American?
What connections can you provide to any of the countries of Africa?
Do you speak any of the over 100 languages of the continent?
What tribe did your ancestors derive from?
Can you name 5 countries on the continent?
What separates the African American in you from the Nigga in me?

Comments

Popular Post